The workshop activity module enables the collection, review, and peer assessment of student work. Students can submit any digital content (files), such as word documents, spreadsheets, or type directly into the text editor.
Submissions are assessed using a multi-criteria assessment form defined by the instructor. There is an option that allows the instructor to submit an example of an assessment that the students can download and review before completing their own. Submissions and reviewers can be anonymous, if you prefer.
Students obtain two grades in a workshop – a grade for their submission and a grade for their assessment of their peers’ submissions. Both grades are recorded in the gradebook.
Create a Workshop
- On the course home page, click the gear in the upper right hand corner, click Turn Editing On
- In the section where you want the choice to appear > click Add an activity or resource
- Click the radio button beside Workshop
- Click Add
Configure these settings
- Name the workshop and fill in the description with instructions for the students.
- Grading strategy – the default grading strategy is Accumulative which adds the two grades together. Other grading methods are comments, number of errors, or rubric.
- Grades for submission and assessment – enter the maximum grade for each
- Submission and Assessment settings – enter clear instructions for submitting and assessing student work
- Conclusion text is optional and is available to students upon completion of the activity
- Optional – Add an example submission for students to see the expectations
- Save and display
Once the settings are complete, the Workshop activity walks you through a checklist to ensure all the steps are taken. If you are missing any steps, Moodle will add a red X to indicate this.
To activate the Workshop
- Once the steps are completed in the Setup phase, and the students have submitted their work, click on the last choice, Switch to the next phase.
- Click on Allocate submissions.
- Use either manual or random allocation.
- Once the submissions have been allocated, click on Switch to the next phase.
- You are now on the Assessment phase.
- Once the students have completed the assessment phase, you can then calculate the grades of both the submission and assessment.